Saturday 26 March 2011

How Green Is My....Smoothie

Very very green in fact...
In a new set of posts I'll be investigating my own lifestyle changes and choices related to 'Going Green'. Join me as I discuss my personal observations of the benefits and pitfalls of accessing this way of living.

So first up...the inspiration...my VERY Green Smoothie, just made, now...*sip* which looked so surprisingly irridescent GREEEEEEN, that it made me stare...

The Recipe for VERY Green Smoothie

Home-grown Organic Oregano, Parsley and Mint...about a handful of leaf of each
A stalk of Organic Celery chopped into 'bits'
A 'slosh' of Organic Cloudy Apple Juice
A 'slosh' of home-made fermented Raw Honey and grated Ginger drink (I'll put that recipe up soon...)
Pulse the mixture in a blender to break up the larger leaves and celery bits.
Whizz on high for 30seconds to really break up the celery strings, then down to low setting for about 20 seconds.
Voila! A VERY Green Smoothie.
(yes, you will find crunchy things to chew whilst you sip)

So I bet you're wondering why I do this. Perhaps you're not, but I'm going to tell you anyway.
Going Green has become a catch phrase for some companies to make money out of guilting the public into 'doing their bit for the environment', by purchasing some stuff in a plastic bottle that says it is 'green'. "Well yeah? Prove it...", I say. I need companies to explain the ingredients are produced with a conscience. I know I can't get all my modern conveniences with this integrity of manufacture, but I want the majority of what I consume to be ethically produced. If I, one person, makes this a priority, and help other people to see this as a priority, then it continues the swell in trend and in turn influences the manufacture of goods, propagation techniques of agriculture, and ingredients within consumables. Thats how I can get ethically produced and manufactured goods now of course ;) People demanded it and so it is available for purchase.

In that train of thought then, how is my VERY Green Smoothie so green? 50% of the ingredients were grown organically on my property, needing no transportation to my house at all. The soil to grow my herbs came from my worm farm compost, comprised of broken down green waste from my house, and again, no transportation needed. The juice is organically grown from SE Queensland (where I live), as was the celery, both obtained from a local shop which I walked to.

Here in my VERY Green Smoothie, I've been able to use a naturally sweet raw ferment, (more about ferments in an upcoming post) and it works well with the dash of apple juice and the celery to balance. The *Zzzzing* comes from the Ginger! The herbs are powerful anit-bacterial, anti-viral, digestive aides and packed with Chlorophyll to help it all get into the blood easily.

So, in honour of the recently passed St Patricks Day, "Slainte!" And in tune with Earth Hour Day...or whatever its called... Happy green moustaches to all... :)

Jannette
xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thankyou for reading my article. Please leave a comment or message. While I am flattered that other Feng Shui consultants are reading this blog, I would ask that you refrain from spamming my Comments area with your website addresses please. I love to reply to genuine queries. Thanks!