Friday 7 May 2010

Where are your purchases taking you?


Over the last few years I know my perspective on what and how I spend my money has undergone a huge shift, but it seems that in a world that has gone consumerism crazy, the reason for spending our money is changing. There seems to be a misconception on what 'good value for money' IS.

No longer just on the lookout for a bargain, I now question how the product was made and what impact it had on the planet to make it AND get it to me. This leads to issues relating to Fair Trade, child labour, slave labour, excessive transport, pollution, synthetic additives, environmental consciousness, truth in labelling and much more.

I'm not content just to get something 'cheap' anymore, I want it to be of superior value in many ways!

My food consumables I guess have undergone the most radical shift and it took the longest time too. Now I and my family are living on approximately a 80% certified organic diet. And because we have moved to using significantly more fresh produce, raw foods etc...and not prepackaged goods, we are healthier and eating 'less', which is of course better for our budget.

I'd always been buying personal hygiene products that I thought were 'safe', 'eco-friendly' and 'natural', but when I looked closer I found that what I was buying were in no way any of the things they were promoting themselves to be. So I signed up with Miessence, and now I get all my personal hygiene products, nutrition and household cleaning at near to wholesale...and I can get lovely things like organic botanical perfumes and make-up for me, and give them as presents too :)

Recently I turned to looking at buying certified organic clothes and linen. Starting small, I purchased tea towels and face cloths. They felt lovely, were of superior quality and lasted longer than anything else I'd ever bought. Right! I'd proven to myself once again that I was going in the right direction. Now I have just bought organic bamboo shirts (that are so soft and feel delicious on the skin!), sheets and pillowcases, and some babywear that has safe organic dyes used instead of synthetic chemicals.

So the answer to 'where are your purchases taking you?' for me is...to a healthier Life, a healthier purse, and a healthier environment in the long term. I feel good about spending my money, knowing that I am doing so in a Purposeful way, with the intention of promoting great health and prosperity for all. And I'm getting some seriously fabulous products that are seriously good value for money!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thankyou for reading my article. Please leave a comment or message. While I am flattered that other Feng Shui consultants are reading this blog, I would ask that you refrain from spamming my Comments area with your website addresses please. I love to reply to genuine queries. Thanks!