Monday 3 May 2010

7 Simple, Holistic, Home Therapies for Well-Being, Relaxation and Pain Relief


This month we begin by celebrating our Mums, our ‘dominant females’ of the house, or our friends who are Mothers and carers. What a wonderful celebration of the female energy! No matter what your own relationship with your Mother is, there are probably a few women in your life who could be celebrated, pampered and appreciated for what they do. And being a Mum is very tough sometimes. There isn’t an easy way to explain just how you get through the enormous list of tasks that need to be completed each day, and night, when you become ‘Mother’. It is truly perpetual. It’s the most difficult ‘job’ you could imagine doing, and it holds the most potent rewards as well.

I’m a Mother of three home educated children aged 1 to 10, operate my own consultancy, and am rarely ill. I wanted to share a few of the remedies I use, sometimes daily, to allow me to keep on going, enjoy life and get through this intense time.

So how do I do it?! Simply, I take care of me at any and every opportunity I get. And yes, these opportunities can be sparse in some weeks, but it is about being conscious of my Body, Mind and Spirit, and regularly ‘checking in’ to make sure all’s well….and if it isn’t, then getting some kind of therapy organised to assist with whatever has come up.

My ‘regular’ therapies for everyday use include:

  • Meditation / Contemplation / Affirmation / Reiki
  • Acupressure
  • Massage (of hands and feet, calves and forearms)
  • Aromatherapy
  • Sound Therapy
  • Crystal Therapy
  • Nutritional Boosters

1. The first one is a compilation of the one intention. That is, to Still and relax the energy body and begin any form of healing. Some people comment to me that they find meditating ‘hard’ and I would reply that there is a way that they can find to meditate that will suit them. Sometimes all it takes is a 4 to 7 minute contemplation of the garden...to allow the eyes to move over trees, shrubs, to linger on a flower or a particularly perfect leaf...and then to breathe in and slow down. This is in itself a meditation. Using an Affirmation while closing your eyes or doing a particularly banal job (scrubbing something) can also instil an Energy Signature into your energy body that can slow you down, or ‘tune up’ your frequency. If you are Reiki attuned, using the simplicity of the hands over the eyes, and then the temples, can elicit quick and effective Calm.

2. Acupressure uses the same Meridians as Acupuncture, without the needles. There are many good books out there which have some excellent diagrams so you can learn to ‘DIY’ your own Acupressure relief. It is extremely good to use for pain, cramps, distress and injuries. Once learned it is usually always remembered, and an extremely valuable skill to build upon bit by bit.

3. Massage doesn’t have to be elaborate, and the relief from massaging feet and hands after a long day can have the effect of getting a better quality of rest. (good for mummies who are up and down all night to new bubbas) Yoga has a couple of fantastic foot and hand massages that can be done at the same time. By placing the fingers of one hand into the spaces between the toes of the opposite foot, you can slowly massage the top of the toes, and the ball of the foot, while doing the fingertips and the palm at the same time!

Talk about efficient hey?

4. Aromatherapy can be utilised throughout the day for specific purpose. In the morning using a citrus base can help you wake up and feel energised and ‘switched on’. For calming and relieving headaches you can use the aromas of Lime and Orange from fresh fruit or as a drop of essential oil onto a handkerchief or wristband, and breathed in deeply until the symptoms ease. (always re-hydrate if you have a headache) In the evenings it is good to use something like Ylang Ylang, Lavender, Chamomile, Vetiver and Rosewood (or a blend of these) to help you calm and slow for sleep. (Babies being held close to Mum will get the benefit of these as well without applying anything to their sensitive skin)

I do also use incense as a form of ‘slowing down’ the energy in my home. I regularly cleanse the energy at my front door, in my office, in the kids’ playroom, even the kitchen, by burning some Frankincense, Cinnamon, or Cedar. I also use pure granulated incense like Basilica from Prinknash Abbey as it is a great way of getting the aromatherapy using a pure source.

5 .Sound Therapy would have to be the easiest one of the lot apart from the ‘garden contemplation’. Switch on something soothing, allow it to float around the house while you relax with a cuppa, do some tidying up, or play with a child on the floor. If I can, I ask someone to watch the children and put on my ipod to get a blast of Jonathan Goldman’s Tantra of Sound Harmoniser...a chakra balancing and aligning sound healing recording. Easy re-alignment for Mind, Body and Spirit! You could use any kind of soothing and quiet music to help you calm down and heal. Beautiful classical music of an instrument you like most is also a great way of relaxing, and it has the added benefit of making children quiet. My children always begin drawing or building something when I put on classical music.

6 . Crystal Therapy can be as easy as popping a Smokey Quartz into your bra and walking around with it all day long. Just ask it (direct it) to remove negative energy from stresses of any sort you encounter during the day. If you have a specific health issue you can usually find a crystal to help ameliorate it. Using a good crystal reference book like Melody Gross’ ‘Love is in the Earth’ will help you find exactly what you need…

And, there is also the much underused aspect of Crystal Essences. These can be made from nearly any crystal and is a magic way of incorporating the Energy Signature of your fave crystal. I put crystal essences in with my flower essences, or in my bath, or just in my drinking water, to help with different issues, or just as a general ‘tonic’.

7. Nutritional Boosters are my favourite as they can change the way I feel in minutes, and, if taken regularly, help to maintain my health from month to month. I use raw boosters wherever possible, and certified organic products so that I am not having to use up my valuable energy detoxifying anything ‘extra’ from my system.

My picks for nutritional boosters are: Spirulina, Chlorella, Chia Seeds, Ginger, Garlic, Chilli, Basil, Parsley, Thyme, Oregano, Amaranth, Raw Cacao, blueberries, Kefir (fermented milk) and lots of premium nuts like Walnuts, Almonds, Brazils and Cashews (all raw). I personally like the convenience of using a Superfood Powder like Berry Radical from Miessence. Antioxidant too, this tub of ‘va-va-voom’ has been a saviour over and over again!

Things like the fresh organic herbs help by keeping me feeling good, they taste great too, but the also help to get rid of any internal parasites. Thyme and Oregano are particularly good for this. Spirulina and Chlorella, Chia, Ginger, Cacao, Blueberries and Kefir can all be whizzed up in a smoothie for lazy intake of a powerpacked foods. You don’t even have to chew…



And of course there is the essential intake of pure water that we need more of than we ever think we do. Water in the form of ‘hydration therapy’, can and does alleviate pain.


There are loads of easy ways to stop and relax, re-align, nourish and care for yourself and for someone special too.  

What I would suggest you do if you are tired and feeling low, is to come home and ...
  • · eat a small meal
  • · whiz up a Superfood smoothie
  • · run a warm bath or take a cool shower
  • · and spend some time with the TV off and the Sound Therapy ON
  • · Wipe some Lavender (or your fave oil) onto your wrists, and breathe


And if you know of a mum who is doing it particularly tough, offer to be her eyes and ears for an hour so she can go and get some good rest...that’s real giving.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thankyou for reading my article. Please leave a comment or message. While I am flattered that other Feng Shui consultants are reading this blog, I would ask that you refrain from spamming my Comments area with your website addresses please. I love to reply to genuine queries. Thanks!