Tuesday 26 May 2009

The Dangers of Accumulated Consumption


Each day we use a various number of products on ourselves (our children and pets too), on our house and on our clothes, that we buy because we think they will make us smell nicer, be cleaner or look better. What is in those mainstream products though? Is it really safe if it is allowed for sale? Shockingly the majority answer is a resounding “NO”. For a long time I’ve been suspicious of ‘off the shelf’ products, pharmaceuticals, and other everyday chemicals. For a long time I’ve dealt with ill-health, problematic skin and chronic conditions that I felt alleviated with the cessation of using one kind of chemical/product or another.

Recently I was fortunate enough to receive a copy of ‘Chemical Free Kids’ by Dr Sarah Lantz, and have been reading through it, ‘consuming’ the information and finding immense validation for all the suspicions, study, investigation and cautions I have exhibited over the last decade or so of my own life. It’s an amazing read and a book I thoroughly recommend as a reference book for every home. What started this kind of investigation? What caused my step forward? Not surprisingly, it started with my first pregnancy.

When I had my first baby I used mainstream products on her, used disposable nappies, gave her formula milk as a ‘complimentary’ feed, as I had been directed to do by my peers and advisors. Within a few months my bubby had what was being described as colic, she developed severe skin rashes on her bottom and was generally unhappy, and of course so was I. An unhappy baby equals a case of VTM (Very Tired Mother). I started to look at what I was using on her, started to investigate the ingredients of these products and also started to investigate natural alternatives. My own issues with a skin irritation and other health problems prompted me to look into the kinds of products I was using daily as well. I had always been ‘interested in’ natural alternatives, but had not investigated why this interested me so much. With my own reactions to certain foods and products heightening, I chose to do something pro-active about de-toxifying my LIFE!

As I began my ‘step forward’, I got so desperate about undecipherable labels that I developed a ‘criteria’ for choosing any product for me or my baby. My criteria for picking a product was that it should have no more than 5 ingredients, and that I should be able to tell exactly what they were by reading the label. If I couldn’t then I wouldn’t buy it. Out went anything with the SLS (Sodium Laurel Sulphate) or anything similar, out went anything petroleum based, out went a lot of the additives and preservatives identified only with a number...this was my starting point. My very first step. Yep, a lot of the time I found that I couldn’t keep to my criteria with everything. As you can imagine, this became quite a chore, but I was not put off.(...I’d gone through the same thing years earlier when my husband had developed a cholesterol problem and we had to check all the labels on food for saturated fat content and cholesterol etc) In fact, the more I researched the more empowered I felt about my own health and my own ability to find what I needed. (and that was usually in my pantry, my fridge, or my garden)

As with most health issues relating to product usage, it is usually not just one product on its own that is ‘the problem’, but rather a combination, or a team of products forming a catalytic reaction,... and we’re the petrii dish! A childhood of antibiotic and analgesic treatment for minor ailments, and then chronic conditions, had left my immune system rocky and in desperate need of real nourishment. Yet, a lot of the energy of my body’s detoxing ability was being directed towards ridding myself of the ‘everyday’ toxins I was slathering onto my skin, or ingesting via food and drinks, not to mention the cleaning toxins on my clothes and in my house.

In the case of my own baby becoming a petrii dish for modern day products, well, I drew a very big black line right there!! During her infancy I went from using all the mainstream products to using alternative products as much as I could find. She got moisturised with a bit of apricot kernel oil after bath-time, and her bath became warm water with a few drops of Chamomile in Jojoba essential oil. We boosted her immune system via her food intake with garlic and fresh herbs grown in my garden from a very early age. Strangely though, it took more than a few years for me to realise that I needed to change a lot of my products too! I seemed to be in a dreamworld where my biology was somehow different to hers, and thinking that my body would be able to ‘stand’ the toxic intake. I was wrong of course. We all have our own ‘threshold’ for toxins, and I had been ignoring my body’s pleas for help for a long, long time.

I know that the changes I made since her birth, via the products I choose to use in the house, in our diets and in our healthcare, have all had the conglomerate effect of increasing our well-being, and providing my house with good quality Chi Flow in many aspects. While it wasn’t ‘good’ to go through the problems I have had using chemicals and other toxins, it did make me aware of what I was consuming, how I was dealing with the manifestations of these toxins, and the alternatives that are there to find. This awareness has lead to a healthier lifestyle, healthier product choices and a desire to become more educated about the world I live in.

During all of these ‘trials’ I was keenly aware that the issues manifesting would have some deeper origin, and yes, some deeper meaning. Our bodies are wonderful instruments for warning us to slow down, clean up, clean out or change direction...just that the dials are hard to interpret at times!! But yes, deep down, I know/knew there was something else I had to address, and thankfully, those messages are becoming increasingly clearer as I open up and begin to accept help in many different forms.

Everyone’s journey is unique, but as humans, we all share a common physical process, a common biology, and yes, we adapt to almost anything that comes our way. That is our survival mechanism. Yet how much energy are we wasting by poisoning ourselves each day with hidden toxins? How much better would we survive if we could put that energy into the things we love and love to do?

I would be very happy to help you find out more about natural and organic products and information
Please call me direct on 0427 152 756 or email jthtc@yahoo.com.au

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thankyou for reading my article. Please leave a comment or message. While I am flattered that other Feng Shui consultants are reading this blog, I would ask that you refrain from spamming my Comments area with your website addresses please. I love to reply to genuine queries. Thanks!