Tuesday 7 April 2009

Aligned for Online?


Over the last couple of years I have been trying out and converting a lot of products I consume to certified organic or at the very least, natural alternatives. Buying certified organics seemed a big thing at first, and I struggled with reading labels, understanding the ‘plant derived’ and ‘made without the use of chemicals’ phrases and what that actually meant. It was all for self education so I persevered. If anything, I am persevering.


I thought that a lot of what I was going to buy was only going to be available at speciality shops, like health-food outlets or bulk buying delicatessens etc. The happy surprise I got was that things like this were also available to order online and at a comparative price too, especially when I included my time, effort and vehicle running cost as well. Some products actually work out to be great value this way. In the end I was spoilt for choice and had to simplify my sources so that I didn’t spend an overt amount of time choosing which supplier I was going to use this week.


I found that some of the mainstream shops are definitely turning their heads towards the organic market. One particular supermarket chain has been doing this for a while and increased their certified organic range impressively, so that I can buy nearly all of my C.O. pantry goods and things like fresh milk and cheese etc all at one place. However, another chain sold a range of ‘organic’ goods that were not certified organic at all. Always search for the Certified Organic labels to be assured that what you are buying is certified organic. If you do not live near a major centre the availability of this kind of product range can be scarce. (fresh produce however may be where you find it easier than us urbanites, especially if you have the room and energy to grow your own) I turned to certified organic and natural alternatives to reduce the amount of toxic chemical me and my family were ingesting via the popular ‘labels’ we were buying.


And then there are the astounding amount of toxic chemicals in personal care products, and here is where the chain stores really fall down when it comes to offering a quality organic product. There are acres of SLS infused products on the shelves in supermarkets, and nothing that I would want to use anymore in my house. I had to go online to source safe personal care products at a decent price, and with a rewards program too. As most of the readership know, I am a ONEGroup representative, selling Miessence, MiVitality, and MiEnviron which are all certified organic products for personal care, household cleaning and nutrition. While you can get these from health-food shops and some speciality shops, the product rang is often limited, and don’t come with a discount or rewards program. One of the reasons I became a rep for this group was because of my very good experiences buying online with them, and of course, the product range being exactly what I wanted it to be too.


As a ‘mum to be’ last year, I was also able to research and find some great fully biodegradable and environmentally responsible options in nappies, detergents, and other related accessories, all delivered for free from online services. What a treat! This saved so much Time and Energy that the products were amazing good value.


All in all, the one thing I have learned about buying specialty and ‘run-of-the-mill’ items is that unless you do some research you can get stung and end up paying too much for the convenience of it being delivered to your door. From my own experience, doing a little homework and ringing around a few local shops to find out if they stock (or are willing to stock) certified organic ranges or certain labels you want to buy, is well worth it. I found that the dinky little local shops nearby had a great range of C.O. labels, natural alternatives and even some of the environmentally responsible laundry detergents I had been buying online. I ended up being able to find more than half of the goods I was buying online at these local shops! So it pays to look around of course. For other things I will continue to buy online and have them delivered. It is just so convenient and I am definitely getting used to tickling the keys and receiving what I need. Beats traffic, a parking lot and queues any day!!



Top Tips for Buying Online
Look around for the best customer rewards deals.
Ask for samples of anything you are interested in trying out. Online companies understand ‘try before you buy’.
Buy in bulk if you can, as you will find it can save you dollars, and time and effort too!
If you find a particular unique product you want being sold by another online firm, ask your usual supplier to price match, they are usually happy to oblige.
Commit to buying regularly online, and reap the benefits of multi-order deals.


Thankyou for reading this article


If you would like to subscribe to the Holistic Feng Shui MiniZine and receive your free ezine each month, just click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thankyou for reading my article. Please leave a comment or message. While I am flattered that other Feng Shui consultants are reading this blog, I would ask that you refrain from spamming my Comments area with your website addresses please. I love to reply to genuine queries. Thanks!